Data from PwC, ZenithOptimedia and other industry experts highlights the trends in the Europe, Middle East & Africa region. Download the full Special Report from FIPP's World Magazine Trends 2014/15.
Highlights from the FIPP Insight EMEA World Magazine Trends Special Report include:
- The economy of the European Union generated a GDP of over US$17 trillion in 2013 according to Eurostat, which makes it the second largest economy in the world if treated as a single economy (first being the United States of America).
- With 8 per cent GDP growth in 2013 Central & Eastern Europe is the second fastest growing economy (behind Latin America) in the world
- Russia – which accounts for 42 per cent of total GDP – is the main driver and in spite of the political crisis in Ukraine.
- The outlook is much more positive with ad expenditure forecast to shrink by just 0.5%, followed by recovery to 2.6 per cent growth in 2015 and 3.6 per cent growth in 2016.
MIDDLE EAST & AFRICA
- Nigeria has emerged as the largest economy in Africa with a GDP of 502 billion but has one of the lowest ratios on advertising expenditure. With a total adspend in 2013 of US$785 million the ratio is 0.16 per cent, one of the lowest in the region.
- South Africa with a GDP of US$262 billion and an adspend of US$3,830 million has the highest ratio in the region (1.09 per cent).
- The worldwide average ratio is 0.69% and for MENA (Middle East and North Africa) this is 0.23 per cent.
- In MENA Saudi Arabia is the largest economy with a GDP of US$745 billion, but advertising revenue is so low, with ‘only’ US$602 million that it is one of the lowest in the MENA region.
- Most of the revenue comes from circulations and will grow to 61 per cent in the near future.
Download the full FIPP Special Report: EMEA Trends 2014/15 (pdf)
More like this
Download the FIPP Special Report: Americas Trends 2014/15 (pdf)
Focus on the Americas, a FIPP Special Report
Download the Mary Meeker/KPCB Internet Report 2015 (pdf)
Download FIPP Insight Special Report: Social Media (pdf)
Visit the FIPP Insight Resources Library for more FREE download of special reports, white papers and more...
Download Membership Brochure
What to expect as Hearst Magazines' new Airbnbmag hits the streets
Chief content officer Joanna Coles discusses the premiere edition of Airbnbmag, its celebration of global community and the future of travel.
22nd May 2017
Eight lessons from Cosmopolitan on publishing to Snapchat Discover
One of the lessons for Cosmopolitan following the brand’s wildly successful launch on Snapchat Discover just short of 2.5 years ago was that “you have to dig beyond analytics to find out what [users] are saying about your editions and what they really care about”.
22nd May 2017
Inside The Business of Fashion
In the space of only a decade, The Business of Fashion has grown from a blog to multi-channel business servicing a global professional community in the millions through a website, newsletters, social media, print magazine and membership programme, with clear, diversified revenue model and each stream contributing meaningfully to the overall top line.
23rd May 2017
The Immediate Media Co story: from starting up to being acquired by Burda
Earlier this month at the PPA Festival, Barry Mcllheney of the UK Publishers Association sat down with Immediate Media Co’s CEO, Tom Bureau, who talked about the journey from starting Immediate to being acquired by German-based publisher, Hubert Burda.
24th May 2017
Transitioning to digital when print still pays the bills
For most publishers, transitioning from print to digital is the essential change. But when print magazines remain the most profitable part of your business, it can be important to balance evolution rationally in order not to lose the print cash cow. Here, we talk to Danish company, Bonnier Publications, about walking that very path.
25th May 2017