Discussing new media and pricing strategies, Dr. Florian Bauer of Vocatus, Germany, offered delegates at the Digital Innovators’ Summit in Berlin today with five key take-outs as they continue with the development of their e-publishing strategies.
- E-publishing is not about content but about developing and shaping new habits, in every respect – price, payment and product. He warned that classical print marketing approaches and a focus on circulation would be counter-productive.
- Challenges in varying channels differ, and should be considered as such – “e-publishing is in no respect a homogeneous product cluster.”
- E-publishing has to be developed outside in: publishers must learn to (properly) listen to their readers – perhaps even “for first time!”. Dr. Bauer implored them to use the tools now available to do this
- Consumers’ willingness to pay must be developed, and here publishers have to play an active role. Willingness-to-pay “is like a muscle which needs to be trained.”
- Price/product structure is a huge opportunity that allows bundling and up selling, given the ability today to better understand customer need