Winners of Publisher Podcast Awards Announced
Media Voices has revealed the winners of the 2021 Publisher Podcast Awards, following a virtual ceremony that took place on Wednesday 21st April. The awards programme, which included FIPP President & CEO, James Hewes, amongst its judging panel, celebrates the podcasting success of publishers and media organisations who have been in the space for a while, or just breaking in.
From an starting pool of 200+ entries, a strong shortlist of 114 podcasts was produced, with New Scientist’s ‘New Science Weekly’ proving the overall winner.
The judges said: “Although it was faced with formidable competition, this podcast was one of the strongest entries we’d seen. It had excellent alignment with the parent brand, and made good use of staff and magazine content throughout. The production values were also flawless, making it a very enjoyable listen.”
Individual category successes included:
- Best B2B Podcast: Engineering Matters, Reby Media
- Best Coronavirus Podcast: The Nature Podcast, Springer Nature
- Best Entertainment Podcast: The Penguin Podcast, Penguin Random House
- Best Food & Drink Podcast: The Food Programme, BBC Radio 4
- Best Health & Wellbeing Podcast: The ECHO’s Menopod, Laudable / Liverpool Echo
- Best Hobbies & Special Interest Podcast: The Week in Art, The Art Newspaper Ltd
- Best Lifestyle Podcast: We Are Family, Meredith Corporation
- Best Limited Series: Floodlines, The Atlantic
- Best Local & Community Podcast: Twa Teams, One Street, DC Thomson Media
- Best News Podcast: The Week Unwrapped, Dennis Publishing
- Best Political Podcast: The New Statesman Podcast, The New Statesman
- Best Science & Medical Podcast: Curiosity Daily, Discovery Inc.
- Best Sponsored Podcast: olive magazine podcast, Immediate Media
- Best Sport Podcast: The Bunkered Golf Podcast, DC Thomson Media
- Best Technology Podcast: Engineering Matters, Reby Media
- Best Commercial Strategy: Engineering Matters, Reby Media
- Best Podcast Launch: New Scientist Weekly, New Scientist
Publisher Podcast Summit 2022
This week, the Media Voices team also announced the launch of a new Publisher Podcast, coming in 2020. It will be held in London, the day before next year’s awards, and include insights on all sides of the industry, from how to launch a podcast to what it takes to put together a sustainable commercial strategy.
Esther Kezia Thorpe, Media Voices co-Founder, said: “We’re so pleased to have been able to continue with the awards this year, despite Covid. The response has been far better than we expected, and we’re already looking forward to extending with a Summit and an in-person ceremony again next year. It’s been so heartening to see the quality of publisher podcasting increasing despite geographical and technical challenges throughout 2020. Many congratulations to all the shortlisted and winning podcasts.”