Above: Attendees on the 2016 FIPP London Media Tour outside the Good Housekeeping Institute
According to Christine Huntingford, vice president at FIPP: “It was an intense whistle-stop tour around some of the most innovative media companies that London has to offer. The programme was a cohesive, yet diverse, set of case studies of brands, solutions, innovation and courage. We heard about real-life projects, where we were told not only the successes, but also pointers on what they would do differently if they had that time again.”
Key learnings on the tour included:
- Finding that ‘golden nugget’ of an untapped need and creating a solution or product to fulfil it
- Discovering a ‘sweet-spot’ in the market where a new product would fit in nicely, and work
- Maximising the power of your brand to create new businesses around it…some companies are even experimenting with areas far removed from the media world
- Reinvention of long-standing titles and learning how and what they did to step away from the existing mindset to enable them to address the brand with a fresh perspective.
- Digital developments with new technology
- Social media experimentation
- Use of video
Attendees were also given the chance to hear strategies and tactics to enable new products to get to market quickly, using lean and agile approaches. Although seemingly straightforward, it is a carefully coordinated and disciplined approach, where ego has to stay out of the room.
Above: Digital Spy’s Julian Linley presents to attendees on the Tour
While as media owners we are diverse, creative and innovative, we can’t always do it on our own, which is why the programme had a peppering of solution providers. Their expertise in getting products or messages to market using alternative methods also gave attendees plenty of food for thought.
Attendees also enjoyed a tour of the Good Housekeeping Institute, where the products are tried and tested, as well as a tour of Bauer Media’s radio studios.
The FIPP London media Tour was made possible thanks to the support of our amazing media community that continues to be open and candid about developments, progress and innovation. They include Bauer Media, Centaur, Dennis Publishing, Emap, Hearst, Immediate Media, Shortlist Media, The Economist, Time Inc. UK, Gold Key Media, Openr and Whichit.
If you’re reading this wishing that you had taken part in the London Media Tour, FIPP will be organising a similar tour in New York, this October. Find out more about the New York Tour here, and take advantage of the discounted rate by booking before 31 May.
More like this