In a ‘Back to Reality’ ceremony hosted at Proud Cabaret City, London on Wednesday 27th April, this year’s Publisher Podcast Award winners were announced. The awards, which are presented by Media Voices, are a celebration of the podcasting success of publishers and other media organisations, whether they’ve been in the podcasting space a while, or have just launched.
From over 220 entries and an exceptionally strong shortlist of 124 podcasts, the judging panel – which included FIPP President & CEO James Hewes – marked the podcasts on a range of factors, including production quality, how well the podcast reflected the publisher’s brand, and strategies to grow the audience.
The overall winner on the night, presented with the prestigious ‘Publisher Podcast of the Year’ award was Bed of Lies – an investigative podcast presented by Cara McGoogan and produced by The Telegraph.
The full list of winners across all categories on the night was:
- Best B2B Podcast – Energy Voice Out Loud, DC Thomson Media
- Best Books & Literature Podcast – Author In Your Classroom, DC Thomson Media
- Best Entertainment & Culture Podcast – Film Stories with Simon Brew, Film Stories
- Best Food & Drink Podcast –The Cocktail Lovers Podcast, The Cocktail Lovers magazine
- Best Health & Wellbeing Podcast – Life Before Birth, Reby Media
- Best Hobbies & Special Interest Podcast – BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine Podcast, Immediate Media
- Best Investigative Podcast – Smoke Screen, The Bureau of Investigative Journalism, Auddy
- Best Lifestyle Podcast – Working It, Financial Times
- Best Limited Series – Bed of Lies, The Telegraph
- Best Local & Community Podcast – Brummie Mummies, Reach PLC, Laudable
- Best News Podcast – News Briefing, Financial Times
- Best Political Podcast – The New Statesman Podcast, The New Statesman
- Best Science & Medical Podcast – Mysteries of Science, Future PLC
- Best Sponsored & Branded Podcast – American Metamorphosis, The Atlantic, BCG
- Best Sport Podcast – The bunkered Podcast, DC Thomson Media
- Best Technology Podcast – Engineering Matters, Reby Media
- Best Commercial Strategy – The New Statesman podcast & World Review from the New Statesman, The New Statesman
- Best Podcast Launch – Mysteries of Science, Future PLC
- Best Student Podcast – In the Gray Zone, Mithil Aggarwal, Chloe Ching and Teele Rebane, The University of Hong Kong
Additionally, to secure podcasting as a successful part of a publisher’s strategy, there are often key people within the business driving best practice, seeking inspiration, and looking for new opportunities. So the programme’s special award, for the Publisher Podcast Hero of the Year, went to Ross MacPherson, Reby Media.
You can find out more here.