Half of online video ads are viewable, Google says

That demand is perhaps most important in relation to video, because of the high prices video ad inventory continues to command relative to other formats such as banners.

However, according to data from online ad giant Google, only about half of video ads across the Web are actually viewable.

Throughout April, the company collected data from its various video-related ad products and platforms — including its widely used ad server DoubleClick — and determined that just 54 per cent of video ads across the web are viewable.

That rate didn’t include YouTube ads, which were 91 per cent viewable, the company said. That discrepancy could be because YouTube is a video destination, whereas some websites place video ads next to other types of content or at the bottom of their pages.

For the purpose of the study, Google used the viewability definition set forth by the Media Rating Council and the IAB, which declares an ad viewable only if 50 per cent of its pixels are visible on the screen for at least two consecutive seconds.

While publishers can’t guarantee Web users will watch every ad, marketers argue they should only have to pay when ads could potentially be seen.

So why aren’t they being seen? Usually because they’re playing in the background while users look at something else, Google said. Of non-viewable ads analysed by the company, 76 per cent were in a background tab or never on-screen at all, while the remaining 24 per cent were scrolled off-screen or abandoned in fewer than two seconds.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Google found viewability rates were higher on mobile devices and tablets than on desktop computers. The company also concluded that smaller video players exhibited the lowest viewability rates. Just 20 per cent of video ads that appeared in 300 x 250 pixel players were deemed viewable, for example.

“Advertisers seeking viewable impressions should look at high viewability sites that engage in best practices for video viewability,” Google advised. “In general, advertisers should consider investing their spend in inventory comprised of larger video ad sizes to enhance viewability.”

Source: WSJ Blogs

More like this

Download FIPP Insight special report: global video trends

Red Bull redefines role of data in videos to enrich viewing experience

Time Inc. plans to produce 10,000 videos in 2015

Your first step to joining FIPP's global community of media leaders

Sign up to FIPP World x