The internet has opened up untold benefits for marketers and the online advertising industry. The data trail provided by possible consumers makes targeting specific audiences easy. This way personalised advertising can help the industry maximise the return on ad spend. However, the consumer doesn't always feel comfortable with being followed around the web.
According to the "Statista Survey Advertising & Privacy 2017", 86 per cent of respondents often or occasionally realise that their online behaviour is being tracked and used for ads. While 37 per cent do not take any counter-measures, the remaining 63 per cent take action, such as using an incognito window in their browser, to shake off the digital tail. Albeit, only 14 per cent do this always.
Contrasting the findings of other studies there are people out there who are rather spooked out by personalised ads, or knowing that they're being followed. Digital media, marketing their web space for personalised ads, need to at least acknowledge that some of their audience is aware and wary of being followed. And, the customer cannot be coerced to be turned on by cookies.
Download the chart here.
More like this
AOP and Deloitte reveal publishers’ total digital revenue has increased by 5.4 per cent on a 12-month rolling basis to March 2018 with industry confidence also on the up.19th Jun 2018 Insight News
On this week's episode, Bauer Xcel's Director of content and audience development Ian Betteridge talks about drawing together the separate roles of editorial and data-driven audience development, how commercial needs drive content strategy and how he brings together the print and digital teams to make the many brands he oversees a success. He also tells the story behind 'Betteridge's Law'.18th Jun 2018 Insight News
Journalists have an exact idea of the civic duties their trade must fulfil. But as a survey by the Media Insight Project found, these ideas are diverging from the public opinion of a journalist’s duties.18th Jun 2018 Insight News
Using data in all sorts of ways when creating native advertising is the way forward for the industry, says David Landes, former head of commercial content at The Local Europe and current content director at content agency Tale.15th Jun 2018 Insight News
In an effort to cast light on the success media are enjoying in the digital subscription arena, FIPP has created the first Global Digital Subscription Snapshot. Covering nearly 10 million digital subscriptions by title, the report finds that paid content success requires investment, intelligent application of analytics, an understanding of the local market and leveraging the emotional connection to a brand.11th Jun 2018 Insight News
Those who know only a little about some of the world’s more weird and wonderful magazines, will be aware that Grow Magazine is the most ‘quintessential cannabis horticulture magazine’ in the world, available in all 50 US states, and Canada. This does beg the question: why did Facebook decide to give its first official magazine the same name? More pertinently, why did the social media platform, which insists it’s not a publisher, decide to put out a magazine at all?18th Jun 2018 Features
Hearst UK launched a consumer facing campaign, Financially Fabulous, early in June as a brand extension to some of its female-focused titles. According to Hearst UK’s finance editor, Kalpana Fitzpatrick, the series of events and content are being tailored to provide women with financial advice because readers indicated that finance was an area they would really value more content on.18th Jun 2018 Features
Condé Nast released the results of a study commissioned in partnership with Tapestry, a research firm with specialisation in the consumer decision journey, which explored the crucial role and timing of influence in the path to purchase, and further examined the value of Condé Nast in the decision making process.13th Jun 2018 Insight News
The Hong Kong based South China Morning Post sits in the unique position of reporting on mainland China while being viewed as a predominantly foreign organisation by the state. Here, we speak to CEO Gary Liu about transitioning to digital, creating user-friendly content, and operating within China’s press restrictions.11th Jun 2018 Features
Visit our Youtube channelFIND OUT MORE
FIPP newsletters allow you to keep up with industry trends, research, training and events across the worldFIND OUT MORE
What’s happening now, what’s coming next