Highlights from the FIPP Insight EMEA World Magazine Trends Special Report include:
- The economy of the European Union generated a GDP of over US$17 trillion in 2013 according to Eurostat, which makes it the second largest economy in the world if treated as a single economy (first being the United States of America).
- With 8 per cent GDP growth in 2013 Central & Eastern Europe is the second fastest growing economy (behind Latin America) in the world
- Russia – which accounts for 42 per cent of total GDP – is the main driver and in spite of the political crisis in Ukraine.
- The outlook is much more positive with ad expenditure forecast to shrink by just 0.5%, followed by recovery to 2.6 per cent growth in 2015 and 3.6 per cent growth in 2016.
MIDDLE EAST & AFRICA
- Nigeria has emerged as the largest economy in Africa with a GDP of 502 billion but has one of the lowest ratios on advertising expenditure. With a total adspend in 2013 of US$785 million the ratio is 0.16 per cent, one of the lowest in the region.
- South Africa with a GDP of US$262 billion and an adspend of US$3,830 million has the highest ratio in the region (1.09 per cent).
- The worldwide average ratio is 0.69% and for MENA (Middle East and North Africa) this is 0.23 per cent.
- In MENA Saudi Arabia is the largest economy with a GDP of US$745 billion, but advertising revenue is so low, with ‘only’ US$602 million that it is one of the lowest in the MENA region.
- Most of the revenue comes from circulations and will grow to 61 per cent in the near future.
The editors of FIPP's Innovation in Magazine Media 2017-2018 World Report look at how to create content designed precisely for the right audience at the right time on the right platform to meet proven reader needs at each moment.20th Nov 2017 FIPP News
Only 10 days now remain before the end of our exclusive pre-agenda offer on tickets for FIPP and VDZ’s 11th Digital Innovators’ Summit (DIS), taking place from 18-20 March (main programme on 19 and 20 March) in Berlin, Germany.20th Nov 2017 FIPP News
Former Head of news at Twitter, Chief Digital Officer of NBC News and President and CEO of National Public Radio (NPR), Vivian Schiller is now confirmed as one of the speakers for Digital Innovators’ Summit 2018, where she will share her thoughts on what she considers is the next phase of development for platforms and the media.14th Nov 2017 FIPP News
To be launched on 19 March 2018 at the FIPP/VDZ Digital Innovators' Summit (DIS) in Berlin, Germany, the 9th annual Innovation in Magazine Media 2018-2019 World Report focuses on how to actually make innovation happen.13th Nov 2017 FIPP News
Recently, there has been a period of time where there was somewhat of a slow-down in international brand activity as companies focused on shoring up their bases. However, this year we have seen an increasing number of reports surfacing about media companies adopting a more global outlook again – at least in certain segments. Does this mean a renewed focus on brand licensing, and in what form? And what is the outlook as we head into 2018?13th Nov 2017 Features
CDS Global and Zeddit announced a strategic technology partnership in the UK and Australia to provide advanced subscriber conversion capabilities for print magazine publishers. The partnership will focus on improving the conversion of visitors to magazine websites into subscribers for CDS Global clients.13th Nov 2017 Industry News
One of the biggest drives for publishers in the past decade or two have been transitioning their print content to digital. For some it is all about maintaining the magazine's brand essence online, yet others have enjoyed success in amalgamating print publications to create new web first brands.13th Nov 2017 Features
Publishers’ growing urge to be platform agnostic needs to be balanced by focussed efforts to ensure content remains platform specific.13th Nov 2017 Features
Deborah Joseph is appointed chief content officer of Glamour, a new position created to lead the vision for the beauty-first, digital-first media brand, it was announced today.16th Nov 2017 Industry News
Visit our Youtube channelFIND OUT MORE
FIPP newsletters allow you to keep up with industry trends, research, training and events across the worldFIND OUT MORE
Get global coverage of your launches, company news and innovationsFIND OUT MORE
What’s happening now, what’s coming next