The new annual edition of the Innovation in Magazine Media World Report looks at real case studies of successful AND profitable innovation.
The 9th edition of the Innovation in Magazine Media World Report is written for FIPP every year by Innovation Media Consulting, a global consultancy helping publishers succeed in the digital age.
The report author is John Wilpers, Senior Director USA of Innovation Media Consulting, and it is edited by Juan Señor, Senior Partner.
Case studies revealing magazine media strategies from around the world include:
- The Economist on reader revenue: "We now charge the same for a digital subscription as for a print subscription on the grounds that you are paying for the content and not the format," according to Michael Brunt, The Economist Chief Marketing Officer and Managing Director, Global Circulation
- Men's Health: With 70% of its readers revealed as the household's primary food buyers, it wasn't a huge gamble to launch a line of Men's Health-branded food products targeted at their audience
- Giallo Zafferano: Mondadori took its best-in-the-nation food website and launched what turned out to be a wildly popular print magazine - including extensive reader interaction with polls to choose the cover and recipes to feature
- Motor Trend: In just over a year, the magazine attracted more than 100,000 subscribers to its on-demand streaming video service
- Público: How "pivot to audio" deepened their relationship with their audience
- Harvard Business Review: Sets aside 10% of its time for future planning by discontinuing non-value-producing activities
- National Geographic: Interactive storytelling provided a stunning work of deep archival dives into the parallel lives of John F. Kennedy and his eventual assassin Lee Harvey Oswald
- New York Magazine: Joined forces with Livestream to survey what audiences expect from live video (and 70% chose YouTube as their favourite video platform)
- Tudo Sobre: Marcelo Leite, one of Tudo Sobre's ("All About") creators explains the interactive multimedia storytelling concept used to bring readers to the Belo Monte Dam in the Amazon
- Bonnier Publications: Using "content upcycling" to get more value out of every euro spent on content production
- Vogue: Launched the first Facebook Messenger chatbot that allowed users to personalise their fashion news
- The Week on launching a print-only title for kids: "Only print can really give an immersive experience, with great breadth and pacing," said Kerin O'Connor, Chief Executive of The Week and The Week Junior
Not to mention the breathtakingly cool stuff being dreamt up and made into reality: a double page spread Gillette ad in Israel featuring "The Dad Test" with sandpaper and real scratch marks showing the effect of a bad shave; an ad for outdoor clothing company LL Bean that only appears in sunlight; popcorn scented ads to promote the unique advertising solutions print can offer; an ad for Glacial beer in Brazil that turns into a beer chiller; and an ad you can pee on, from Ikea...
Order your copy now to read more.
Are you looking for a dynamic, value-packed presentation to inspire your in-house or client event? The team of Innovation Media Consulting are available to present at your next conference, seminar or workshop.
Contact Helen@fipp.com to get the ball rolling or to order at bulk discount rates.
More like this
Announcing the addition of several new speakers to the DIS2019 line-up. In 2019, DIS (Digital Innovators’ Summit), the annual media innovation event first established in 2007, takes place on 25-26 March in Berlin, Germany. Pre-agenda tickets with discounts worth several hundred euros are currently on sale – but for a limited period remaining.6th Nov 2018 FIPP News
If you are a rising star in global media or have ground-breaking media research deserving of accolades, then this is your chance with FIPP and UPM’s Rising Stars Awards and FIPP Insight Awards. Entries for the 2018 edition of both awards are now open and the new deadline is Friday 9 November.6th Nov 2018 FIPP News
This is your last chance to beat the house, taking advantage of our very best FIPP World Media Congress 2019 offer. The offer ends tonight.31st Oct 2018 FIPP News
Only one day remains to take advantage of most special of offers to join us at the 42nd FIPP World Media Congress in Las Vegas, the USA on 12-14 November 2019.29th Oct 2018 FIPP News
Numbers do not lie. Physical book sales are on the up. But to suggest it’s because the world has turned its back on ereaders will be premature. It’s not quite as simple as that…13th Nov 2018 Features
Formerly known as the Reader's Digest Association, Trusted Media Brands is a multi-platform media company based in New York, that boasts a portfolio of high profile brands. Over the years it had developed a strong and loyal audience for its print products, yet knew it needed to innovate in digital to survive and prosper.12th Nov 2018 Features
Last month, New York magazine's ecommerce site announced the November launch of a pop-up retail shop for the holiday season.13th Nov 2018 Features
Hearst UK has announced a new brand strategy for Esquire, with a relaunched magazine, a refreshed website and the launch of a new bespoke series of events.13th Nov 2018 Industry News
Meredith Corporation announced an agreement to sell the Fortune media brand for $150m cash to Fortune Media Group Holdings, wholly owned by Chatchaval Jiaravanon. The transaction is subject to regulatory approval and is expected to close in 2018.12th Nov 2018 Deals
Visit our Youtube channelFIND OUT MORE
FIPP newsletters allow you to keep up with industry trends, research, training and events across the worldFIND OUT MORE
What’s happening now, what’s coming next