The new annual edition of the Innovation in Magazine Media World Report looks at real case studies of successful AND profitable innovation.
The 9th edition of the Innovation in Magazine Media World Report is written for FIPP every year by Innovation Media Consulting, a global consultancy helping publishers succeed in the digital age.
The report author is John Wilpers, Senior Director USA of Innovation Media Consulting, and it is edited by Juan Señor, Senior Partner.
Case studies revealing magazine media strategies from around the world include:
- The Economist on reader revenue: "We now charge the same for a digital subscription as for a print subscription on the grounds that you are paying for the content and not the format," according to Michael Brunt, The Economist Chief Marketing Officer and Managing Director, Global Circulation
- Men's Health: With 70% of its readers revealed as the household's primary food buyers, it wasn't a huge gamble to launch a line of Men's Health-branded food products targeted at their audience
- Giallo Zafferano: Mondadori took its best-in-the-nation food website and launched what turned out to be a wildly popular print magazine - including extensive reader interaction with polls to choose the cover and recipes to feature
- Motor Trend: In just over a year, the magazine attracted more than 100,000 subscribers to its on-demand streaming video service
- Público: How "pivot to audio" deepened their relationship with their audience
- Harvard Business Review: Sets aside 10% of its time for future planning by discontinuing non-value-producing activities
- National Geographic: Interactive storytelling provided a stunning work of deep archival dives into the parallel lives of John F. Kennedy and his eventual assassin Lee Harvey Oswald
- New York Magazine: Joined forces with Livestream to survey what audiences expect from live video (and 70% chose YouTube as their favourite video platform)
- Tudo Sobre: Marcelo Leite, one of Tudo Sobre's ("All About") creators explains the interactive multimedia storytelling concept used to bring readers to the Belo Monte Dam in the Amazon
- Bonnier Publications: Using "content upcycling" to get more value out of every euro spent on content production
- Vogue: Launched the first Facebook Messenger chatbot that allowed users to personalise their fashion news
- The Week on launching a print-only title for kids: "Only print can really give an immersive experience, with great breadth and pacing," said Kerin O'Connor, Chief Executive of The Week and The Week Junior
Not to mention the breathtakingly cool stuff being dreamt up and made into reality: a double page spread Gillette ad in Israel featuring "The Dad Test" with sandpaper and real scratch marks showing the effect of a bad shave; an ad for outdoor clothing company LL Bean that only appears in sunlight; popcorn scented ads to promote the unique advertising solutions print can offer; an ad for Glacial beer in Brazil that turns into a beer chiller; and an ad you can pee on, from Ikea...
Order your copy now to read more.
Are you looking for a dynamic, value-packed presentation to inspire your in-house or client event? The team of Innovation Media Consulting are available to present at your next conference, seminar or workshop.
Contact Helen@fipp.com to get the ball rolling or to order at bulk discount rates.
More like this
China is home to three of the world’s Internet giants, Tencent (with the popular WeChat app), Alibaba and Baidu, with large ecosystems developing around them, creating opportunities for startup and established media alike.16th Jul 2018 FIPP News
Two weeks left to register with our pre-agenda offer for the 6th FIPP Asia international conference and exhibition, taking place from 14 to 16 September 2018 in Wuhan, China.9th Jul 2018 FIPP News
View and download the speaker presentations from FIPP Insider Milan (26 June 2018) and Madrid (28 June 2018).2nd Jul 2018 FIPP News
In a little less than three months, delegates from China and other parts of the world will join FIPP and the Chinese Periodicals Association (CPA) for the 6th FIPP Asia conference, taking place from 14-15 September in Wuhan, China. Tickets for FIPP Asia are currently available at a discounted rate.25th Jun 2018 FIPP News
Penske Media, founded in 2003, has made significant investments over the years in over 18 trade and consumer brands including Variety, WWD, Robb Report, Deadline, Beauty Inc. and HollywoodLife among others. In December, the company announced a strategic investment in Wenner Media, and with it, a controlling stake in the iconic music and culture bible Rolling Stone.16th Jul 2018 Features
As a media company, building a sustainable digital business model relying on monthly subscriptions for a long time seemed like a fantasy.16th Jul 2018 Insight News
A UK Government investigation into the sustainability of ‘high-quality journalism’ has released a rather depressing snapshot of the state of regional newspapers across the country.16th Jul 2018 Opinion
In the summer of 2008, I wrote an article for the magazine of the Custom Publishing Council called “Content.” And while I realise that was 10 years ago, some things never age, such as the content of the “Content” article. That’s a lot of “content” you might say, and I agree with you. But content, good content combined with experience making, is what magazines are all about and custom publishing is still just as relevant and prevalent as it was in ’08, even more so.20th Jul 2018 Opinion
GQ Middle East has appointed Adam Baidawi as editor-in-chief. The twenty-first edition of the title will launch in September and will be published under licence agreement with ITP Media Group.20th Jul 2018 Industry News
Visit our Youtube channelFIND OUT MORE
FIPP newsletters allow you to keep up with industry trends, research, training and events across the worldFIND OUT MORE
What’s happening now, what’s coming next