The new annual edition of the Innovation in Magazine Media World Report looks at real case studies of successful AND profitable innovation.
The 9th edition of the Innovation in Magazine Media World Report is written for FIPP every year by Innovation Media Consulting, a global consultancy helping publishers succeed in the digital age.
The report author is John Wilpers, Senior Director USA of Innovation Media Consulting, and it is edited by Juan Señor, Senior Partner.
Case studies revealing magazine media strategies from around the world include:
- The Economist on reader revenue: "We now charge the same for a digital subscription as for a print subscription on the grounds that you are paying for the content and not the format," according to Michael Brunt, The Economist Chief Marketing Officer and Managing Director, Global Circulation
- Men's Health: With 70% of its readers revealed as the household's primary food buyers, it wasn't a huge gamble to launch a line of Men's Health-branded food products targeted at their audience
- Giallo Zafferano: Mondadori took its best-in-the-nation food website and launched what turned out to be a wildly popular print magazine - including extensive reader interaction with polls to choose the cover and recipes to feature
- Motor Trend: In just over a year, the magazine attracted more than 100,000 subscribers to its on-demand streaming video service
- Público: How "pivot to audio" deepened their relationship with their audience
- Harvard Business Review: Sets aside 10% of its time for future planning by discontinuing non-value-producing activities
- National Geographic: Interactive storytelling provided a stunning work of deep archival dives into the parallel lives of John F. Kennedy and his eventual assassin Lee Harvey Oswald
- New York Magazine: Joined forces with Livestream to survey what audiences expect from live video (and 70% chose YouTube as their favourite video platform)
- Tudo Sobre: Marcelo Leite, one of Tudo Sobre's ("All About") creators explains the interactive multimedia storytelling concept used to bring readers to the Belo Monte Dam in the Amazon
- Bonnier Publications: Using "content upcycling" to get more value out of every euro spent on content production
- Vogue: Launched the first Facebook Messenger chatbot that allowed users to personalise their fashion news
- The Week on launching a print-only title for kids: "Only print can really give an immersive experience, with great breadth and pacing," said Kerin O'Connor, Chief Executive of The Week and The Week Junior
Not to mention the breathtakingly cool stuff being dreamt up and made into reality: a double page spread Gillette ad in Israel featuring "The Dad Test" with sandpaper and real scratch marks showing the effect of a bad shave; an ad for outdoor clothing company LL Bean that only appears in sunlight; popcorn scented ads to promote the unique advertising solutions print can offer; an ad for Glacial beer in Brazil that turns into a beer chiller; and an ad you can pee on, from Ikea...
Order your copy now to read more.
Are you looking for a dynamic, value-packed presentation to inspire your in-house or client event? The team of Innovation Media Consulting are available to present at your next conference, seminar or workshop.
Contact Helen@fipp.com to get the ball rolling or to order at bulk discount rates.
More like this
FIPP, the network for global media, will join forces with IFRA World Publishing Expo and DCX Digital Content Expo in a world first for global associations representing newspaper and magazine media. The leadership of WAN-IFRA, representing the global newspaper industry, and FIPP, representing the global magazine media, made the joint announcement today.18th May 2018 FIPP News
FIPP will be in Milan on 26 June and Madrid on 28 June as we continue with our FIPP Insider half-day event series.9th May 2018 FIPP News
The FIPP Management Board appointed three new company representatives as Directors at its last meeting on 20 March 2018. Appointed were Alfred Heintze of Burda International, Aaron Asadi of Future and Dietmar Otti of Red Bull Media House.8th May 2018 FIPP News
On the southern tip of Africa, FIPP Board member Julia Raphaely heads a media publishing company which is a multi-platform brand-building power house. She sat down with FIPP in her Cape Town office to explain why collaboration in the industry has become vitally important for success.14th May 2018 Features
The European Union’s new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that comes into effect on 25 May will redefine the online relationship between publishers and consumers. If companies have not already taken the steps outlined below, it might be too late but this checklist could be handy to see how compliant you already are.14th May 2018 Insight News
Traditional publishers are finding success in new areas, by creating content for new platforms. Here we look at insights and innovations from three leading companies.14th May 2018 Features
Bauer Media’s Empire magazine is to push the boundaries of print publishing by producing an innovative limited edition talking cover. The cover is created in partnership with Twentieth Century Fox to coincide with the launch of Deadpool 2.14th May 2018 Industry News
A recent study to test the effectiveness of various media strands in brand building highlights a major discrepancy between what the advertising industry think and what empirical evidence suggests.16th May 2018 Insight News
Visit our Youtube channelFIND OUT MORE
FIPP newsletters allow you to keep up with industry trends, research, training and events across the worldFIND OUT MORE
Get global coverage of your launches, company news and innovationsFIND OUT MORE
What’s happening now, what’s coming next