Is there revenue to be made from social?
The FIPP Innovation 2015 World Report includes a chapter on latest developments and innovations within the sector. The report will launch at the Digital Innovators’ Summit in Berlin in March.
On the question of making money on social, the answer is there are magazine media companies doing just that. One such company is the National Geographic Society. Declan Moore, chief media officer, and others shed more light on this in the report, but here is some of what he told John Wilpers, editor of the Innovation World Report.
“You don’t immediately pay the rent with social media, that’s for sure,” said chief media officer of the National Geographic Society Declan Moore. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t revenue to be had.
“With Snapchat, there is advertising, and it will be quite large,” Moore said. “And we do monetise YouTube. With Twitter, we are starting to create more commercial opportunities… And we’re doing more of that on Facebook as well…”
The Innovation World Report will be packed with more insights and proven examples of innovation from around the world. Apart from social media, the report also includes chapters on mobile, video, email, content, advertising, data, events, print and offbeat (creativity creating a buzz).
Remember its launch: 23-24 March 2015 at the FIPP/VDZ/eMediaSF Digital Innovators’ Summit in Berlin.
FIPP’s Innovation World Report consistently ranks as our best-loved annual report among members. In fact, in our surveys of the past three years, it was rated “exceptional” by our members. Why not be part of it?
- Associate your business with Innovation, with display and native advertising opportunities available. Simply email Helen Bland, head of FIPP Insight, or Andre Glazier, FIPP’s commercial manager, for more. You can also call them on +44 (0) 20 7404 4169. And download the Insight media pack for more commercial opportunities.
- Also ask them how you can get involved with the monthly FIPP Innovation newsletter, which builds on the World Report.
The 2015 World Report will be available in digital and print formats. FIPP members and DIS delegates get free access to digital editions. Pre-order your copy now or email Helen or FIPP Insight marketing executive Sylkia Cartagena to pre-order.
In the meantime, here is a free chapter on mobile – “We have seen the future, and it looks like mobile” – from the 2014 World Report. Happy reading!
Want more FIPP Innovation?
Sign up for our monthly FIPP Innovation newsletter, visit FIPP.com and follow us on our social media channels for daily updates. Don’t forget to join us at the Digital Innovators’ Summit in March and at the the FIPP World Congress in October (which includes the FIPP Innovation Forum 2015).
- Innovation World Report preview: how Kickstarter helps print magazines
- Newsletters – the comeback kid, thanks to mobile
- What this week’s Snapchat, Facebook news means for content
- US magazine industry captures social media universes for magazine media
- FIPP Ibero-America conference: how to make social work – Buzzfeed