Below, Business Insider’s Breton Fischetti and Media24’s Mieke Vlok (winners in 2016), and Hearst’s Laura Wilson and Glass Buffalo’s Matthew Stepanic share three media developments each that they love.
FIPP and UPM’s Rising Stars in Global Media Awards celebrate exceptional young talent within the international media industry, in any discipline. Read more about who can enter the 2017 Awards, and how to enter, here (entries are free!). The top three 2017 winners will be invited to speak at the 41st FIPP World Congress, taking place from 9-11 October in London, the UK.
• Subscriptions: I think they're poised to make a comeback. The success of BII (Business Insider Intelligence), our paid research arm, is a solid indicator of this potential new trend.
• Live video: Digital media companies now have a shot at the next iteration of television and the huge scale and revenue opportunities that come with it.
• Instagram: For media companies, it has the potential to become much more than just short videos and pretty pictures.
• Diversity: While the media still has a long way to go, I feel like it is becoming more inclusive by the day. Newsrooms are filled with people from all walks of life and backgrounds, which I think is great. The more varying perspectives you have, the more diversified your solutions will be.
• Real-time storytelling: I am very excited that journalists are using features like Facebook Live and Instagram Stories to document the news they are covering in real time. It gives a whole different level of experience to viewers when they can see events unfold for themselves.
• VR: It hasn’t properly hit South Africa yet, but virtual reality (VR) is extremely exciting. Through VR someone who would never have had the opportunity to experience a place, event or people can have a really authentic taste of what it is like.
• I’m loving the integration of technology on every level – from Snapchat to Amazon Alexa – we are evermore connected and constantly sharing and inquiring. This allows us to broaden our horisons when thinking about how to reach certain audiences as well as gives us the tools to highly curate any audience we aim to reach through appropriate data.
• I also will always love developing well-crafted, highly curated experiences – every time. People still want the in-person experience just as much as they love a new and exciting virtual reality experience. And in terms of sales, we find that they work beautifully and the return on investment is there for our clients.
• Custom content is the other trend I am really excited about these days. Our partners look to us to be the experts to creatively and smartly position their brands in the marketplace. Creating custom content for our partners allows us to not only take the brand messaging and alignment to the next level, but also to enhance our readers’ experience! Whether it is a guide to the world’s most exquisite pearls or a guide on how to explore the top cities in America…aligning with custom editorial content is always going to put your brand at our consumer’s top of mind.
• I’m excited by the pop-up magazine events created by California Sunday Magazine. I believe they re-imagine magazines in new and extraordinary ways and make memorable experiences for their audiences.
• I’m eagerly following the trend of local journalism start-ups in Edmonton, such as the Edmonton Quotient and Taproot Edmonton, who are trying and testing new models for producing and funding local journalism.
• I’m also energised by the quality of print publications that are still being produced today, and the new magazines that have been adding to the publishing landscape (there was a record number of magazines that applied for the Best New Magazine award at the Alberta Magazine Awards this year).
Launched in 2015, FIPP and UPM’s Rising Stars in Global Media Awards celebrate exceptional young talent within the international media industry, in any discipline.
Read more about who can enter the 2017 Awards, and how to enter (it’s free), here. The top 3 winners will be invited to speak at the 41st FIPP World Congress, taking place from 9-11 October in London, the UK.
• See the 2016 winners and finalists here
• See the 2015 winners and finalists here
More like this
Following what judges described as the most competitive year since FIPP and UPM’s Rising Star Awards started in 2015, we are delighted to announce our four overall Rising Star winners for 2017 today.25th Sep 2017 Rising Stars
Laura Wilson is account manager, jewellery, bridal and travel at Hearst’s Town & Country Magazine and one of the FIPP and UPM Rising Stars in Global Media Award winners in 2015 (entries for 2017 are open until 16 June). Laura tells us how things are going, what she loves about media today and why she loved being a Rising Star winner.11th Jun 2017 Rising Stars
Penske Media, founded in 2003, has made significant investments over the years in over 18 trade and consumer brands including Variety, WWD, Robb Report, Deadline, Beauty Inc. and HollywoodLife among others. In December, the company announced a strategic investment in Wenner Media, and with it, a controlling stake in the iconic music and culture bible Rolling Stone.16th Jul 2018 Features
As a media company, building a sustainable digital business model relying on monthly subscriptions for a long time seemed like a fantasy.16th Jul 2018 Insight News
A UK Government investigation into the sustainability of ‘high-quality journalism’ has released a rather depressing snapshot of the state of regional newspapers across the country.16th Jul 2018 Opinion
Robb Report announced the latest addition to its global portfolio with the launch of Robb Report Brazil. The regional edition which launched June 2018, will be published bi-monthly under the helm of publishing house Doria Editora, a division of São Paulo-based Grupo Doria.12th Jul 2018 Launches
FIPP and the Native Advertising Institute have teamed up again this year to take a closer look at the state of native advertising in the magazine media industry.16th Jul 2018 Insight News
Visit our Youtube channelFIND OUT MORE
FIPP newsletters allow you to keep up with industry trends, research, training and events across the worldFIND OUT MORE
What’s happening now, what’s coming next