Below, Business Insider’s Breton Fischetti and Media24’s Mieke Vlok (winners in 2016), and Hearst’s Laura Wilson and Glass Buffalo’s Matthew Stepanic share three media developments each that they love.
FIPP and UPM’s Rising Stars in Global Media Awards celebrate exceptional young talent within the international media industry, in any discipline. Read more about who can enter the 2017 Awards, and how to enter, here (entries are free!). The top three 2017 winners will be invited to speak at the 41st FIPP World Congress, taking place from 9-11 October in London, the UK.
• Subscriptions: I think they're poised to make a comeback. The success of BII (Business Insider Intelligence), our paid research arm, is a solid indicator of this potential new trend.
• Live video: Digital media companies now have a shot at the next iteration of television and the huge scale and revenue opportunities that come with it.
• Instagram: For media companies, it has the potential to become much more than just short videos and pretty pictures.
• Diversity: While the media still has a long way to go, I feel like it is becoming more inclusive by the day. Newsrooms are filled with people from all walks of life and backgrounds, which I think is great. The more varying perspectives you have, the more diversified your solutions will be.
• Real-time storytelling: I am very excited that journalists are using features like Facebook Live and Instagram Stories to document the news they are covering in real time. It gives a whole different level of experience to viewers when they can see events unfold for themselves.
• VR: It hasn’t properly hit South Africa yet, but virtual reality (VR) is extremely exciting. Through VR someone who would never have had the opportunity to experience a place, event or people can have a really authentic taste of what it is like.
• I’m loving the integration of technology on every level – from Snapchat to Amazon Alexa – we are evermore connected and constantly sharing and inquiring. This allows us to broaden our horisons when thinking about how to reach certain audiences as well as gives us the tools to highly curate any audience we aim to reach through appropriate data.
• I also will always love developing well-crafted, highly curated experiences – every time. People still want the in-person experience just as much as they love a new and exciting virtual reality experience. And in terms of sales, we find that they work beautifully and the return on investment is there for our clients.
• Custom content is the other trend I am really excited about these days. Our partners look to us to be the experts to creatively and smartly position their brands in the marketplace. Creating custom content for our partners allows us to not only take the brand messaging and alignment to the next level, but also to enhance our readers’ experience! Whether it is a guide to the world’s most exquisite pearls or a guide on how to explore the top cities in America…aligning with custom editorial content is always going to put your brand at our consumer’s top of mind.
• I’m excited by the pop-up magazine events created by California Sunday Magazine. I believe they re-imagine magazines in new and extraordinary ways and make memorable experiences for their audiences.
• I’m eagerly following the trend of local journalism start-ups in Edmonton, such as the Edmonton Quotient and Taproot Edmonton, who are trying and testing new models for producing and funding local journalism.
• I’m also energised by the quality of print publications that are still being produced today, and the new magazines that have been adding to the publishing landscape (there was a record number of magazines that applied for the Best New Magazine award at the Alberta Magazine Awards this year).
Launched in 2015, FIPP and UPM’s Rising Stars in Global Media Awards celebrate exceptional young talent within the international media industry, in any discipline.
Read more about who can enter the 2017 Awards, and how to enter (it’s free), here. The top 3 winners will be invited to speak at the 41st FIPP World Congress, taking place from 9-11 October in London, the UK.
• See the 2016 winners and finalists here
• See the 2015 winners and finalists here
More like this
During the most recent edition of Rising Stars in Media Awards, which took place after the FIPP Insider London event in December 2018, FIPP and UPM celebrated some of the best emerging talent throughout the industry. Here, some of the winners give us their views on why industry recognition is so important.21st May 2019 Rising Stars
In December, FIPP and UPM announced the winners of the fourth annual Rising Star Awards. Amongst the accolades was the Special Jury Award, given to nine year old editor, Charlie Robinson, of Inside Out Publications.8th Feb 2019 Rising Stars
Following what judges described as the most competitive year since FIPP and UPM’s Rising Stars Awards started in 2015, the Rising Stars winners were announced last night at the FIPP Insider event in London. In addition, three companies were awarded for the high standard of their entries this year.13th Dec 2018 Rising Stars
What better way to reward your up and coming media talent than with a free ticket to the FIPP World Media Congress in Las Vegas, two free nights accommodation at the Planet Hollywood Resort and recognition on the global media stage?22nd Oct 2018 Rising Stars
Vogue Business is a new product for 2019, designed to help Condé Nast capitalise on the B2B side of the fashion industry. Here, chief editor Lauren Indvik, talks to us about content, revenue models, and international operations.20th May 2019 Features
Podcast listeners in Spain are in good company, with two out of every five people tuning into podcasts at least monthly, while other countries on the continent have been slower in picking up podcasting.21st May 2019 Insight News
On this week's episode of Media Voices, Wired's editor-in-chief Nicholas Thompson talks about the brand's positioning as a tech magazine in a digital world, the impact of two huge Facebook features, lessons learned from Wired's paywall a year on, and what his dream paywall would look like.21st May 2019 Insight News
Voice is making noise in the industry right now, and you can get ahead of the curve with access to an exclusive new report from leading expert, Wolfgang Zehrt.21st May 2019 Insight News
Hearst UK has announced that Dan Levitt has been appointed as the managing director of Hearst Content Agency as part of the new Hearst Solutions offering. Dan will assume his position immediately and will sit on the Leadership Team at Hearst.15th May 2019 Industry News
Visit our Youtube channelFIND OUT MORE
FIPP newsletters allow you to keep up with industry trends, research, training and events across the worldFIND OUT MORE
What’s happening now, what’s coming next