The new watchlist tracks shipments up to the end of June 2012.
- Smartphone sales penetration continues to accelerate, growing from nearly 30 per cent in Q3 2011 to nearly 40 per cent in Q2 2012
- Nearly two out of every three smartphones shipped in H1 2012 were Android devices
- Despite low device sales, the Windows platform already has more than 100K available apps in Windows Marketplace
- Although Symbian is obsolete, it still has a sizable installed base – larger than bada and Windows Phone combined
- In the handset market, Apple and Samsung account for 63 per cent of revenues and more than 98 per cent of the profits, depriving other vendors of oxygen and therefore the ability to invest in handset differentiation and marketing
- In the smartphone market, Apple and Samsung claim more than half of total shipments. Nokia is shipping more Symbian handsets than WP handsets and their smartphone share has fallen to 7 per cent, down from 16 per cent in H2 2011
The 100 Million Club is researched, authored and published by VisionMobile.